Turnovers are at the top of the list for my favorite apple dessert. These little pockets are sort of like an apple pie on the go. Tender and flaky, they make for a great after dinner treat, superb dessert and a wonderful lunch box addition.
After visiting an apple orchard last weekend and picking more apples than we can handle, spending some time in front of the oven was unavoidable. I adore the smell of anything baked with apples and cinnamon. Come to think of it, apple cinnamon is one of my favorite scents. My house is filled with candles and plug in oil warmers that smell of warm apples spiced with cinnamon. Even my car’s air freshener smells like an apple pie.
Apple picking is one of my favorite activities to do with Briana this time of the year. This year the apples were high up on the trees but somehow I must have forgotten that I am not 18 anymore. In the fun of the moment I decided to climb a tree, got stuck and had Kurt play a knight in shining armor. I also pulled my back muscle so the rest of the day was a bit uncomfortable. Moral of the story, don’t climb any trees.
Apples will be on the menu for a little while. I’m thinking that this weekend I’ll bake an apple pie, make caramel apples and even think of a savory apple dish.
Have a fantastic weekend friends!
- 1 tsp orange zest
- juice of ½ orange
- 2 tart apples, cut into small dice
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 package (2 sheets per package) puff pastry, defrosted as per box instructions
- 2 eggs, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine orange zest, orange juice and diced apples. Coat well to prevent apples from turning brown.
- Add sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir well and set aside.
- Flour a board and lightly roll each sheet of puff pastry into a seamless square. Cut each sheet into 4 equal sections (squares).
- Brush the edges of each square with the egg beaten with 1 tbsp water.
- Spoon about 1½ tbsp of the apple mixture in the middle of each square. Fold the pastry diagonally over the apple mixture and seal by pressing the edges with a fork.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the top with egg wash, sprinkle with brown sugar. Using a small knife make 2 slits to allow air to escape during baking.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 min.
- Store in an air tight container.