For a quick and simple dessert try my Baked Peach Egg Custard.
Whenever I get sick I don’t have much of an appetite but I can always convince myself to have dessert. Since I woke up with an upper respiratory infection and laryngitis, food has been the last thing on my mind. This warm baked egg custard certainly made me feel a little bit better.
Although peach season doesn’t start until July here in NJ, I couldn’t pass up on the big crate of beautiful peaches at Whole Foods on my last trip. Originally I thought of making a peach cobbler but that required too much work. Instead this peach custard was born. There is some serious goodness in this custard. The eggs puff up around fresh peaches and you get a light yet slightly sweet texture.
Personally I like serving this dessert hot with cold ice cream on top. You can also bake it in ramekins for an individual treat. These will be awesome served at a party and make a fabulous summer treat.
- 1 peach, halved then cut into thirds
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tbsp organic put cane sugar
- ½ cup 2% milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter
- splash of rum, optional
- confectioners sugar for dusting
- I used a 5 inch cast iron skillet but any oven safe baking dish will do.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter and add it to the baking dish. Splash in a little rum. Arrange peach slices in an even layer in the bottom of the pan.
- In a blender, combine eggs, flour, sugar, milk and vanilla. Pour over peaches.
- Bake until puffed up and golden about 20-25 minutes.
- Dust with confectioners sugar and serve with ice cream.