Everyone loves an egg roll. Don’t you? But it’s so bad for you. Well, not so anymore because this egg roll is baked! As a matter of fact this egg roll is full of veggies, Omega 3 fatty acids and goodness. My inspiration for this recipe came from A Sunshiny Day, a blog I read on a daily basis. Mai-Lis made these with ground turkey and inspired me to make them with shrimp. Many of us crave Chinese food and the greasy egg roll that comes free in a lunch special. I almost feel bad for it and its bad rep. That’s why I decided to make these Baked Shrimp Egg Rolls, delicious and easy to prepare and actually not that bad for you.
Prepare all the veggies first. Chop the cabbage, carrots and onions and saute in a little olive oil.
Once the vegetables are cooked through, add garlic, ginger, soy sauce and cooked shrimp. Assemble the egg rolls by piling up the mixture in the middle of a wrapper.
Fold the bottom and side corners to make it look like an envelope.
Tuck excess edges in and roll to form an egg roll. Place on a baking sheet, seam side down.
When I originally cooked these I had one sauce in mind. But when they were done it all changed. I have to say sweet pepper hot jam is the best way to go. If you can’t find it then Sweet Thai Chili sauce is a fantastic alternative.
To make it vegetarian simply omit the seafood.
These came out so good, we ate them all. 🙂 Enjoy your weekend.
Baked Shrimp Egg Rolls
- 1/4 head cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked shrimp
- egg roll wrappers
- 1. Heat olive oil in a saute pan.
- 2. Cook cabbage, carrots and onions until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- 3. Add ginger, garlic, scallion, shrimp and soy sauce. Cook another 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- 4. To assemble egg rolls, pile the shrimp mixture in the middle of the wrapper. Fold the bottom and sides of the wrapper, tuck them in and roll to form an egg roll.
- 5. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.