This time of the year I begin to slowly transition from one season to another. I’m ready to let go of summer and welcome fall with arms wide open. It must be the heat. August is so draining. Hot weather leaves me wanting cooler less humid air, pumpkin spice and fall foods. Fall gives me inspiration, energy and satisfies my desire for change. I am certainly ready for fall and most excited to get back to cooking comforting healthy dishes.
Speaking of a comforting dish, these beef and quinoa meatballs are a fantastic way to get a delicious and healthy meal on the table. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the traditional way of making meatballs again. Quinoa is truly the way to go. If you haven’t jumped on the quinoa train yet this is your perfect opportunity to do so and get your family to eat a nutritious meal without compromise. I used store bought high quality organic marinara sauce but if you have the time don’t hesitate to make your own.
- 1 lb lean sirloin (preferably grass fed)
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large jar store bought organic marinara sauce
- fresh basil, sliced
- Rinse quinoa. Cook simmering in 1 cup water until all the water is evaporated. Allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl combine cooled quinoa with the remaining ingredients. Form into 1 inch balls.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil, add meatballs and cook on all sides until nicely brown about 3 minutes per side.
- Reduce heat to low, add marinara sauce, fresh basil and simmer meatballs for 10 more minutes until fully cooked and no longer pink inside. (I had to add a little water to my sauce to keep the consistency but you can also add extra marinara sauce)
- Serve over pasta, orzo, couscous, polenta or in a meatball sub.
Besides the traditional spaghetti and meatballs you can serve these delicious meatballs over couscous, orzo, risotto or polenta and even create meatball subs. All are fantastic options you can’t go wrong with. Enjoy.