One of my favorite things about cooking is the ability to get creative. Taking the familiar ingredients and combining them into something new is both exciting and inspiring. I have made arugula pesto numerous times. I’ve combined it with pasta and broccoli just as many, but it hasn’t occurred to me to create the pesto out both until a few nights ago. This pesto is fabulous in pasta especially when it’s in a bowl topped with parmesan cheese served with a glass of wine while you unwind from a long day and watch you favorite TV show. Dinner on the couch. Just fabulous.
But pasta is not the only friend this pesto loves. Grilled cheese with Broccoli Arugula Pesto and avocado slices is another delicious recipe you must try. I used San Francisco sourdough we have shipped to us once a month, a few slices of havarti dill cheese, avocado and generous amount of pesto and served it with a bowl of soup. What’s better than a bowl of soup and a grilled cheese on a cold night.
Of course there are no limits to what this pesto can become. Possibilities are endless. Enjoy.
- ½ small broccoli head, stalks included (peeled first)
- 2 generous handfuls of arugula
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- squeeze of lemon juice for freshness and to maintain bright green color
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Taste for salt adding more if necessary.