All couples especially those with children appreciate a peaceful “adult” snack time. I’m not talking about eating potato chips and candy while the kids aren’t watching. What I’m referring to is occasionally skipping dinner in lieu of peaceful, tapas like late night snacking. For us that time usually happens when Briana goes to bed, the house quiets down and we can enjoy each other’s company in peace. This makes for a great date night as well, especially in the cold winter months when going out might not be so appealing. Setting up a tray with favorite finger foods by the fireplace and watching a good movie with a glass of wine is one of my favorite ways to relax.
When planning such a night it’s important to remember to keep it simple. While some of my favorite snacks to have are salami & cheese, bruschetta toasts and shrimp cocktail, I have recently created a new favorite. Burrata Toasts with salami, roasted grape tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar are an absolute party in my mouth.
The flavors are simply delectable. I can’t wait to make this as an appetizer for our next party and see the reaction on our guests faces. Until then I will salivate every time I think about it or maybe we’ll need another snack night soon.
You can buy burrata at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s or check you local super market. Trust me. It’s worth going out of your way to find it.
Serving size: 2-3
- 1 burrata ball, cut into 5 pieces
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 5 slices of sourdough bread (or french baguette)
- 10 thinly sliced salami slices
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix sliced tomatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil, season with salt and broil for about 5 min. Allow to cool.
- Drizzle bread slices with a little olive oil, place under the broiler and toast a few min on each side.
- To assemble, place two pieces of salami on each toast.
- Top with a burrata slice, tomatoes and fresh parsley.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with pepper.