A delicious Corn Chowder loaded with crab and bacon is a satisfying and delicious meal especially when served with home made organic cornbread.
I am slowly accepting the fact that the summer is almost over. The realization that the heat is not coming back came when we returned from our trip. I climbed into the pool and thought my toes were going to freeze off. I quickly climbed out and it still took me about 10 minutes to heat through. I especially noticed how moody the temperatures are. Yesterday morning I needed a cardigan since it was only 60 degrees, but then later on in the day I felt like I was having a heat exhaustion in my suit.
Maybe I’m just crazy. I’m sure spending 5 days in Mexico with 90 degree days was not helpful. Nevertheless summer is coming to an end and part of me is sad.
I love a good corn chowder but corn chowder with crab and bacon is a whole new game. Cornbread turned this into a complete dinner that was simply perfect. Even Briana loved it. That says a lot since I have a really hard time getting her to eat anything seafood outside of shrimp.
Have a great weekend friends
- 6 slices bacon, cut into strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 fresh corn on the cob, kernels cut off
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lb lump crab meat
- ⅓ cup fat free half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Heat a soup pot or a Dutch Oven over medium heat and sauté bacon until crispy. Using a slotted spoon remove bacon bits onto a paper towel lined plate leaving bacon fat in the pot.
- Add chopped onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are soft. Stir in thyme, potato and corn. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour in chicken stock, cover and simmer until the potato is soft.
- Add crab meat and half & half. Adjust seasoning and cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with bacon crumbles.