You know what’s exciting? My weekend is not over yet. I still have a whole day off. Ahh, love long weekends. I think everyone needs a lazy day and that’s exactly what we did on Sunday. Personally I believe it should be mandatory that we have at least one lazy day a month, just to recharge a little. The next few weeks are going to be very busy for us, but the great thing is that very soon we’ll be relaxing in Mexico for my sister’s wedding.
This dish was the only thing I did all day.
Whenever I think of comfort food I think of pot pie. I’ve been craving one for some time now and finally gave in to my cravings. I did lighten it up a little by using chicken breast meat, lots of veggies and an organic cream of mushroom soup. Amy’s Organic Soups are made without MSG or trans fats, there are no bioengineered ingredients and they are certified organic. The entire can has only 300 calories. So I used the soup as a base for the pot pie. Instead of making a calorie rich crust I used Heart Smart Bisquick mix to make an herb & cheese biscuits to top the pie. The dish came out fantastic.
Start my preheating the oven to 375 degrees. Half each chicken breast, rub with olive oil, season with salt and pepper then bake about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile sauté an onion and carrots, peel and cube potatoes and prepare the biscuits.
To make the biscuits follow directions on the box by combining 2 1/4 cup of mix with 2/3 cup of milk. I used 1% milk, added 1/8 cup shredded cheddar cheese and chopped fresh parsley.Then knead the dough, roll out a 1/2 inch thick and using a round cookie cutter or a wine glass if you are like me and don’t have one, cut biscuits.
When the chicken is ready cut into cubes.
Add cubed potatoes and half cup of water to a Dutch oven and let the potatoes cook a few minutes until almost done. The water should evaporate. Add corn, peas, sauteed onion, carrot and cubed chicken to the pot with potatoes. Pour the cream of mushroom soup and about 1/2 cup of water. Stir well and let simmer about 5 minutes. Then transfer the mixture to a baking dish, top with biscuits and bake until the biscuits are golden about 15 minutes. Tip: Place the dish on top of a cookie sheet before putting it into the oven to minimize the mess in case the mixture bubbles over.
Chicken Pot Pie w/ Herb Biscuits
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into halves
- 4 medium russet potatoes, cubed small
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 14.5 oz can Amy\'s Organic Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup water
- salt, pepper, olive oil
- For Biscuits
- 2 1/4 cup Heart Smart Bisquick Mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/8 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Rub chicken with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast about 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, sauté onion and carrot. Set aside.
- 3. Prepare biscuits according to directions on the box and adding cheese and parsley. Cut out biscuits.
- 4. Cut chicken into cubes.
- 5. In a Dutch Oven combine potatoes and 1/2 cup water. Cook about 5 minutes until potatoes are almost ready and water evaporates.
- 6. Add chicken, peas, corn, onion, carrot, cream of mushroom soup and another 1/2 cup of water. Stir all together and simmer 5 minutes.
- 7. Transfer to a baking dish. Top with biscuits and bake 15 minutes until biscuits are golden brown.