Laid-back. That’s what this recipe reminds me of. Sometimes I feel like laid back is not possible where I live. People are always on the go. They are rushing. They are demanding. They are angry. They are stressed. They want things done now. Not many stop to take a deep breath and go with the flow. However, I don’t blame them, the environment we live in has a huge influence on shaping our attitudes. I have to admit though many times I am one of these people. There are days when I want to throw away all my suits, put on a maxi dress and just go with the flow. Taking it easy is definitely on my list of accomplishments this year. I want to learn how to be more laid-back, be able to surrender to what I can’t control and take a deep breath once in a while.
With that said I am making great strides, especially with my food. This soup is very laid back. It’s also healthy, nutritious, filling, full of vegetables and just plain ol’ good. For me, eating healthy, somewhat signifies my stand against giving into the craziness of our lifestyles. Taking the time to prepare my dinner instead of getting take out is a form of stress relief. It’s a way to take it easy. It’s the movement of the knife, the music and an occasional glass of wine that turns the kitchen into my oasis.
I started as many soups start out, sweating my veggies.
Ahh I love the smell of sautéing vegetables.
The final result…..
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillons (or vegetable for vegetarian version)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh sage
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 14.5oz can diced no salt tomatoes
- ½ 14.5oz can cannellini beans (optional)
- 1 14.5oz can chickpeas
- ¾ cup barley
- ½ cup shredded kale
- s&p to taste
- In a Dutch oven saute onion, carrots, garlic, celery and herbs in olive oil until the vegetables are soft.
- Add diced tomatoes, water, chicken bouillon, beans (if using), chickpeas and barley.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook about 25 minutes.
- Add kale and cook another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.