I love Mexican flavors. Kurt and I are Mexican food junkies. Naturally, we jump at any excuse to overindulge on tacos, guacamole, chips, beans and margaritas. Cinco de Mayo is perfect for that.
Eating at a Mexican restaurant while avoiding GMO’s and sticking to a healthy organic lifestyle doesn’t really go hand in hand. In an effort to enjoy the delicious Mexican cuisine and stick to consuming food that is healthy I announced that we are going to have Cinco de Mayo celebrations at home. I will of course be in charge of the food and Kurt with his bartending expertise will take care of tequila infused cocktails.
I already can’t wait till Sunday.
With the approaching day of overindulgence I am sharing this great recipe for my tender Citrus Beer Beef Carnitas. What makes this recipe so yummy is the way it’s prepared. I first seasoned the meat generously with a homemade spice rub, then seared it on both sides to get a nice golden color and then left it alone to slowly cook with garlic, onion, beer and orange juice until the meat was falling apart on its own. This by far is my most favorite way to prepare carnitas regardless of whether I use pork or beef.
It’s fantastic served with salsa, guacamole and tortillas and even better with rice and beans.
- 2 lbs organic chuck
- 1 bottle beer such as Blue Moon or Budweiser
- 1 onion, julienned
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 orange, cut in half
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ tbsp mexican oregano
- rub (1 tbsp paprika, 1 tsbp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tsp black pepper, ½ tbsp oregano, ½ tbsp salt)
- Season beef generously with the rub.
- In a Dutch oven preheat olive oil and brown the meat on each side.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and simmer for 2½ hours until the meat falls apart.
- Pull meat apart, mix with the cooking juices and enjoy.