Hello my friends,
It’s only been a week since I last posted but I feel as if a lifetime of events have happened. A week full of birthday parties left me with little time for blogging but I am glad to be back with another delicious recipe.
A few weeks ago I noticed that tired feeling wouldn’t go away even after a great night sleep. I’ve always been pretty healthy, avoiding junk food, eating a fair share of fruits and vegetables but the constant demand of work, home and everything in between was leaving me drained. When a visit to my physician called for another thyroid blood work in just a few months I decided my diet needed a boost. Between changing taste buds, the desire to live an even healthier lifestyle and numerous hours spend reading bloggers like Kimberly Snyder and Kris Carr I made some changes. I love what these changes are doing to my body and the way they make me feel.
Today I am sharing a beautiful salad. Not only does it remind me of summer but it’s full of surprising flavor, good for you ingredients and goes wonderfully with fish, shrimp or lobster. My favorite way to have it is outdoors with my Grilled Lobster with Garlic Herb Butter and a glass of good wine. Simple, delicious, summer dishes like this are the best and they remind me why this is my favorite season. Although I think every season is my favorite. There is something special about each and it’s hard to pick just one.
Citrus Salad with Roasted Beets & Fennel
- 1 fennel bulb, stalks discarded, bulb thinly sliced
- 2 small beets, scrubbed
- 2 small oranges, peel and rind cut off
- ½ avocado
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus a little more for drizzling
- ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- ¼ of ground black pepper
- fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle beets with olive oil, season with a little salt, wrap in aluminum foil and roast for 45 min. Once the beets are done roasting allow to sit for 5 minutes to slightly cool, then using paper towels gently rub the skin to remove it. Slice off the rough ends then cut the beets into wedges.
- While beets roast combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl then pour over fennel and red onion. When the beets are ready stir them with fennel and red onion.
- Plate the vegetables on a large platter, top with orange slices, avocado and fresh dill. Season with a little salt and serve.