“Taking time to live life will only inspire you to work”
Vacation has come to an end. It was wonderful, relaxing and refreshing. I am quite happy we didn’t go away and chose to spend the time at home. Home is where the heart is and relaxing here was exactly what I needed. I am not dreading my return to work, instead I learned how to appreciate these moments in life even more.
I don’t know about you but I am so glad to get back to eating well. Never thought I’d say this but a week of overindulging was not good for me. It left me sluggish. I am craving veggies and to be honest I don’t feel the greatest. I thought I would enjoy eating whatever I wanted but my body says otherwise. I now understand exactly what they mean by “you are what you eat”.
Since our next vacation is only 3 1/2 months away and will require for me to spend a lot of time in a bathing suit, this mama is getting her behind back in shape. As much as I
hate love my treadmill, it will become my best friend again.
A roasted butternut squash and cauliflower soup is a fabulous way to transition back to a healthy fiber rich diet. I had such a hard time restraining myself from eating all the butternut squash when it was done roasting. I just wanted to eat all the veggies the way they were. Good thing I didn’t because this is one delicious soup and cold weather leaves me craving soup all the time. My now 7 year old Briana loved it as well. Those of you with children can relate to how hard it can be to introduce new dishes to kids especially when vegetables are involved. The beautiful bright yellow color definitely helped.
I wish you all a great week ahead. After years of a long commute I am finally moving to a Banking Center close to home, 20 minute drive. Can’t beat that. I am excited.
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- ½ head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 3 cups chicken or veggie stock
- ½ cup fat free half & half
- generous amount of salt
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange butternut squash cubes and cauliflower on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt. Roast for 20-25 min.
- Heat a little olive oil in a soup pot or a Dutch Oven, sauté onions, carrots, celery and garlic until translucent and soft. Season with rosemary, pepper, curry powder, nutmeg and a little salt.
- Add roasted vegetables and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook another 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or regular blender) puree the soup until desired consistency. I like it smooth with a little texture.
- Add half & half, taste for salt. Most likely you will need to season it again. Enjoy