If you saw my post yesterday then you would have noticed beautiful stuffed peppers I had for dinner the night before. I figured there is no point in waiting to share the recipe so without further adieu I bring you the Feta, Spinach and Turkey Stuffed Peppers. I don’t know about you but I love a properly cooked stuffed pepper, not mushy, not soggy, but just right. I’ve grown up eating them all the time, it was one of those dishes my mom made a lot. Don’t you just have a special place for those dishes you’ve grown up eating?
My version, however, is much healthier and lighter than mom’s but it doesn’t mean that it lacks taste. This is one flavorful, juicy and yummy pepper.
Stuffed peppers are a fabulous and cheap family meal too. Stuffed with veggies, spices, feta and ground turkey, this is a great option for dinner any time of the week.
I definitely snuck some veggies inside this baby and added a good amount of feta. A girl’s gotta have cheese, right. I hope you try my recipe and better yet, I hope you enjoy it.
- 4 orange or yellow bell peppers, tops sliced off and seeds removed
- ½ lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 celery stalk, small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup cooked white rice, optional
- 1 14.5oz no salt diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup fat free feta
- ¼ cup baby spinach
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onion, celery and garlic.
- Add italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and tomato paste. Cook 1 minute.
- Deglaze with white wine and let the mixture cook down a little, about 2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until cooked through
- Add diced tomatoes, cook another 3 minutes
- Mix in rice and baby spinach. Cook 1 minute. Turn off the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix in most of the feta reserving a little to sprinkle on top.
- Stuff each pepper with the turkey mixture. Set inside a baking dish.
- Top with the remaining feta cheese.
- Add about 2 tbsp water to the baking dish, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes