Being very preoccupied with my half marathon training has its own benefits. I’m learning two important lessons of cooking, the importance of prep and the necessity to prepare easy dishes. My already busy schedule is now much busier and although I am getting the hang of managing my time better than I have ever before, I am finding that dinners have to be ready within 30 minutes usually following a 3-4 mile run. My body is hungry, my family is hungry and quite frankly being in the kitchen for a prolonged period of time is not part of my post run recovery plan.
Recipes like these Garlic Chili Marinated Shrimp Tacos topped with a mixture of a cool cucumber, romaine and avocado cream is not only good for the taste buds, but it’s fast and family friendly. We’ve been introducing Briana to spicy foods with some success and the slight heat created from the garlic chili paste is just right.
I can eat tacos everyday. I definitely have a slight obsession with all things taco. It’s amazing what can become a taco. On saturday I watched Aaron Sanchez from the Cooking Channel visit dozens of taco trucks and sample endless combinations of flavors. Drooling just thinking about it. I might be experimenting with some unusual flavors soon. I know my husband isn’t going to complain.
Have a great Monday friends!
Serving size: 2 tacos
- 16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp garlic chili paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ english cucumber, seeded and chopped
- ⅓ cup romaine lettuce, shredded
- ½ avocado
- 1 tbsp vegenaise
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 4 corn tortillas
- In a small bowl mix shrimp with garlic chili paste. Set aside and allow to marinade for about 10 minutes.
- Combine avocado, vegenaise, sour cream and cilantro in a blender. Blend until smooth adding a little water if necessary. Season with salt and lime juice.
- Add chopped cucumber and romaine to a small mixing bowl. Add some avocado cream and stir gently.
- Preheat olive oil in a skillet, add the shrimp and the marinate and cook until the shrimp is fully cooked.
- To assemble the tacos, preheat tortillas, top with the cucumber mixture, shrimp and avocado cream.