I always feel a little bit better when it’s Tuesday. I am naturally not a Monday person, as a matter of fact the only time I like Monday is when we’re on vacation. Speaking of vacations I am counting days till we are off to Mexico for my sister’s wedding. Until then I will enjoy all the beauty Fall has to offer. Mornings are becoming consistently crisp and days are cooler but still warm. Decorations are starting to pop all over the place and I am looking forward to decorating our front yard next weekend. Don’t you just love all the pumpkins, hay stacks, scarecrows and mums? One of my favorite is taking Briana apple picking and watching her try and figure out a corn maze. I love how her eyes light up whenever we go on a hay ride. She is already planning her Halloween costume and by now has changed her mind 10 times about what she would like to be this year. Despite all this excitement for Fall I am still trying to hold on to a little bit of Summer and last night I made grilled shrimp with pesto and asparagus linguine. I combined half serving whole grain & half serving regular linguine to make it a little healthier. Flavorful, simple and delicious. I loved it and so did Kurt.
In a separate bowl marinate peeled shrimp with a little olive oil, chopped fresh garlic and red pepper flakes for a few minutes.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook linguine.
Preheat a grill pan and cook shrimp until cooked through about 2 min on each side. The garlic and red pepper flakes will add tons of flavor to the shrimp.
Meanwhile chop asparagus into inch long pieces, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook asparagus for about 2 min. You want it to be soft on the outside but still crunchy on the inside. Immediately transfer it to an ice bath (water and ice) to shock it and preserve its green color.
Drain the ice water and you’ll have beautiful green asparagus ready to be added with the rest of the ingredients.
To put the entire dish together. Combine linguine with basil pesto. Gently fold in asparagus. To serve top with grilled shrimp and shaved parmesan cheese.
And of course don’t forget some wine. I love Cupcake Pinot Grigio with this meal. But if you are looking for something else check out my Wine on a Dime page for reviews of great wines under $20.
Grilled Shrimp with Asparagus Basil Linguine
- 6 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- home made basil pesto
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed, then cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 serving whole grain linguine
- 1 serving regular linguine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp crushed fresh garlic
- 1. Marinate shrimp with olive oil, red pepper flakes and garlic. Let sit for about 5 min.
- 2. Cook in a grill pan about 2 min on each side.
- 3. Meanwhile bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook linguine.
- 4. Bring a separate pot of water to a boil, add asparagus and cook it about 2 minutes.
- 5. Immediately shock the asparagus in an ice bath (water and ice) to preserve the green color.
- 6. Drain linguine. Toss with pesto, fold in asparagus, top with shaved parmesan and shrimp.