Oh the dog days of summer, they leave me with desire to float in the pool all day long. I want to play and have fun instead I’m stuck in the office all day. Judging by how slow it has been lately it appears that the entire world is on vacation. Getting my morning coffee is harder these days. I’m secretly jealous of bathing suit straps sticking out from under the dresses while I wear my suit. But my turn is coming, vacation is just around the corner. Flip flops and sun dresses will be my bestest of friends. Until then…..
This salad is easy to put together. Serve it with my Simply Succulent Grilled Shrimp and you have a fabulous light dinner that the entire family will enjoy.
I suggest using a grill pan when cooking the ribbons as well as plenty of olive oil or you can lightly sear them in a pan instead. They only take a few minutes, don’t overcook or they will fall apart. I say as soon as the zucchini start wilting you’re good to go. I love the flavor combination of the sweet charred corn, pine nuts and grilled zucchini in this salad. I could eat the entire platter all by myself.
- 1 small green zucchini
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 large corn on the cob, shucked
- ¼ red onion
- 2 cups mixed greens
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- olive oil
- light vinaigrette dressing of your choice (I made simple garlic dressing)
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel zucchini and squash lengthwise to create ribbons.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Drizzle zucchini with olive oil and season with salt. Use oil on the grill pan as well to prevent it from sticking. Grill zucchini (on the grill pan) for about 5 minutes.
- Rub oil on the corn and season with salt. Grill 10 minutes. Once cooled, cut the kernels off the cob.
- Grill the red onion, cool and chop.
- In a small bowl dress the greens with vinaigrette. Arrange on a platter. Top with zucchini, corn, red onion and pine nuts.