This Ham and Cheese Panini is an adult version of the all American childhood favorite.
A Panini maker automatically turns an ordinary sandwich into a delicious meal fit for both adults and kids. Take a ham and cheese sandwich for example, layered ham and grated cheese in between two pieces of sourdough bread spread with spicy mustard then grilled to perfection and served with a simple arugula salad. I don’t know about you but that makes me salivate. Many of us associate grilled cheese with our childhood memories and this is a great way to reminisce over dinner.
Making a grilled cheese Panini is a great way to utilize leftover cheese, cold cuts and any other condiments you might have in the fridge. You can always find little blocks of cheddar or Monterey Jack in my house. The secret to that gooey melted inside is to grate the cheese first then pile it high onto your favorite bread. Usually I add tangy Italian marinated red bell peppers as well but this time I wanted to keep it simple.
This will make a good appetizer for any party as well. Instead of cutting the sandwich in half cut lengthwise to create long finger friendly bites. Another idea is to allow the Panini to cool and turn it into grilled cheese croutons to top your soup or salad and even pack into your child’s snackbox for school.
No matter how you choose to have it, it’s pretty delicious. Enjoy.
- 4 slices sourdough bread (or any other panini type hearty bread)
- 6 slices good quality deli ham slices
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ tbsp spicy mustard
- olive oil
- In a large skillet sear ham slices about two minute on each side. You want to get the ham slightly crispy.
- Spread mustard generously over the bread. Arrange ham, then top evenly with grated cheese. Cover with the second bread slice. Brush with a little olive oil over the top.
- Place the sandwiches on the preheated panini press, close the lid, and cook until the bread is crisp and the cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half.
Be sure to check out other wonderful cheesy panini recipes.