How awesome is this picture?
Do you think my daughter has been watching me photograph food too much? Haha. It was such a cute moment. I guess I can say there is a future food blogger in the making.
As you might know from my previous post I really love loaded salads especially in the summer when the abundance of fresh vegetables is at its highest. There is a great salad bar located inside a local supermarket by my work that I frequently visit. My favorite part is that no salad ever comes out the same because of a variety of toppings available.
Last week I created a “home salad bar” style dinner. I made a few simple salads, cut up fresh vegetables and dirtied up a bunch of bowls. But it was worth it. Not only did we thoroughly enjoy our dinner but we have plenty of leftovers to bring to work the next day.
Something about freshly chopped tomatoes and cucumbers with red onion and some herbs. I can eat that combination every simgle day.
You can have so much fun creating variations for a homestyle salad bar.
This is a great idea for a movie night or a fun relaxing dinner idea. Just set up your “salad bar” on a table and let them pick whatever they want.
A “salad bar” also makes a great appetizers replacement.
What is your favorite salad?
- 1 tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed and sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 10 large shrimp, peeled, tail removed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can red beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup corn kernels cut off the cob (1 corn)
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños, chopped
- 1 tbsp store bought salsa verde
- 2 cups salad greens
- Combine tomato, cucumber, red onion, salt, pepper and olive oil. Stir well. Set aside.
- Mix shrimp, 1 tsp olive oil, red pepper flakes and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Heat a skillet, add shrimp mixture and cook a few minutes until cooked. About 2 minutes on each side.
- Combine red beans, corn, jalapeños and salsa verde in a separate bowl. Stir well.
- Serve the rest of the ingredients in separate bowl as you would find at a salad bar. Or serve the salad assembled on a bed of greens.