This weekend was spend in the kitchen cooking all sorts of goodies and trying out new recipes. I roasted a pork shoulder to make these amazing subs, experimented with cocktails and even made homemade ricotta, which by the way is the easiest thing to make. It came out amazing and I can not wait to use it in a baked stuffed shells recipe and share it with you. On Sunday I braised beef ribs in a spicy citrus based broth for 3 1/2 hours and even baked coconut macaroons. I don’t know where all this energy came from but weekends like this make me super happy.
I’ve been feeling sort of down lately, mostly because of the weather. It’s been a while since the sun graced us with its shine and warmth. The lack of it and the abundance of snow has been getting to me, but on Saturday we got our first beautiful day. I was able to run outdoors and the sun shining on my face helped shake the blues. In just a few weeks we will be going on a vacation, hello Bahamas and hopefully upon our return the winter will be gone for good.
This sub right here is no joke – it is AMAZINGLY good. It starts with a great pork shoulder recipe prepared with an italian seasoning rub and roasted to perfection. And it ends with a sandwich that’s loaded with slices of this moist deliciousness, garlicky broccoli rabe (rapini) and a scrumptious creamy horseradish sauce.
The recipe yields a lot of meat, which means one thing, great dinner recipes for weekdays with minimal work and most likely under 30 minutes. I’m thinking roasted pork & hominy stew, pork fried rice and Cuban Panini sandwiches. All this from putting in a little extra work over the weekend.
Happy Monday friends!
- 6-8 lb pork shoulder
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- ½ tbsp granulated onion
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1½ tbsp kosher salt (more depending on the size)
- 2 cups of water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub the pork with olive oil & season generously with salt on both sides..
- Combine granulated garlic, onion, cumin and italian seasoning in a bowl. Rub all over the pork, place into a deep roasting dish with the skin & fat cap facing up.
- Add vinegar and water to the bottom of the pan, cover and roast for 3 hours lowering the heat to 350 for the last hour. Make sure to check and add more water if necessary to the bottom of the pan. (If you don't the juices will burn and give your pork a burnt taste)
- Let the pork rest 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 1 tbsp hot horseradish
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced (tip: use a fine cheese grater)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Stir all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4-6 slices of pork (recipe above)
- 3 tbsp creamy horseradish sauce (recipe above)
- 1 demi baguette, split in half, then cut lengthwise
- ½ bunch broccoli rabe
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil then add broccoli rabe. Cook 3 minutes, then drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, stir in garlic and broccoli rabe. Season with salt and lemon juice. Cook about 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- To arrange the sandwich start by spreading the horseradish sauce over both sides of the bread. Top with slices of pork and broccoli rabe.