Yesterday was a bitter sweet day. It was Briana’s last day as a first grader. The day was met with both excitement and sadness. Excitement for new things to come, summer camp and vacation but it also brought sadness because my little girl is growing up. I remembered the first day of school and the excitement of the first bus ride. I recalled the butterflies in my stomach as the school bus pulled away. I was nervous and anxious for her. She was taking on the real world. This school year has changed her into a bright student, a great friend and a socialite. It made her more independent and ready to take on things without our help. Kurt and I have been going through some old pictures reminiscing on the days when she was just a baby. How the time flies!
Let’s talk about something delicious. Summertime is the ultimate season for salsa’s. Salsa goes great with grilled food, is easy to put together and can add an insane amount of flavor without tons of fat. This recipe in particular goes well with grilled seafood or as a topping for tacos. Chunks of mango, sweet corn, spicy jalapeño and my personal favorite, avocado make up a yummy salsa combination.
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 corn on the cob
- 1 avocado, peeled and cubed
- ¼ small red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice of half a lime
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees, grill the corn on all sides until slightly charred. Cut the kernels off the cob into a medium bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, season with salt, pepper, olive oil and lime juice.
MANGO SALSA WITH AVOCADO