Oh Trader Joe’s, how much I love you. You bring so much happiness to my life. But seriously though, I do love Trader Joe’s. Unfortunately the closest one to me is about 15 miles away so whenever I visit there I stock up on all kinds of goodies. On my last trip down there I picked up a bag of this Multigrain Blend with Vegetables. The store employee was giving out little samples of this stuff and as soon as I tasted it I thought of making a Beef Barley Soup.
That night I made a pot of simple but delicious soup. Not only is this version a much healthier one, its also fast and easy. You won’t have to spend much time in the kitchen chopping and prepping, the soup will pretty much cook itself.
That’s all I have for you today. I’m exhausted and going straight to bed. It’s been a really busy week at work. Enjoy your weekend.
Beef Barley Soup
Author: Kathy Steger
- 1 package Trader Joe’s Frozen Multigrain Blend with Vegetables
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ lbs lean beef, cut into small chunks
- 5 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch Oven, add beef and sauté until brown. Don’t overcrowd the pan as this will steam the meat. Do it in two batches.
- Remove browned beef and set aside.
- To the same pot add onion and saute until translucent.
- Return beef, add water and bouillon, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer about 35 minutes.
- Add Trader Joe’s Multigrain Blend and mushrooms and continue to simmer another 30-35 minutes.
- Season to taste and enjoy.