What a beautiful weekend we had in New Jersey. On Sunday we took a ride out to a farmers market in PA to buy some grass fed locally produced meat and freshly grown vegetables. Kurt and I mostly eat seafood, but when we do eat meat we buy organic grass fed meats from animals that have not been eating stuff they shouldn’t.
I love Spring for its beautiful warm sunny days, blooming trees and colorful flowers. For lunch we stopped at a Mediterranean restaurant and shared a couple of dishes in the outdoor area. We started with a lobster bisque soup, then shared a delicious grilled octopus served on a bed of arugula topped with bruschetta. We also had grilled prawns and scallops on a bed of whole grain pasta made right there at the restaurant served with zucchini medley.
We stopped at the Olive n Grape shop and picked up a variety of olive oils and balsamic vinegars.
My inspiration for dinner came from the scallops we ate at the restaurant. I had bought a bag of english peas as Trader Joe’s a few days ago and needed to cook them before they spoiled. I pan seared gorgeous large scallops and served them with lemon herb peas with fresh parsley.
- 6 large scallops
- ⅓ cup fresh english peas
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and cook peas for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil, saute garlic for 1 minute, add peas, lemon and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pat each scallop with a paper towel, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil and sear scallops 3 minutes on each side. Do not disturb, the scallop with release juices and it will steam instead.
- To serve, plate scallops, top with peas and enjoy.