What a week I had!
Where do I begin? Let’s start by saying I’m an Aunt. 🙂 My sister had a baby on Wednesday. It was a long process that took two days but it was worth it all. My baby niece is simply precious. A beautiful baby girl that is already bringing happiness to the entire family. It is absolutely amazing to see how loving Briana is towards her baby cousin, after all it is her first cousin and a new baby in the family.
I stayed in the hospital with my sister. I was very lucky to be part of the entire process. The experience that makes it so much more special. But to say everything went smooth would be an understatement. In the middle of the night the hospital fire alarm went off and evacuations were ordered. Comes out that a fire started in the laundry room of the same floor we were on. Can you imagine what was going through our minds?
My sister had an epidural and couldn’t walk.
As we tried to plan our course of action Stacey remembered the fun activity we used to do when we were kids. We tied mattresses to our legs and would slide down the stairs from the second floor of our childhood home. In the craziness of the moment she looked at me and said “Looks like we’re going to have to tie the mattress to my body and slide me down the stairs.” It was a great laugh in a chaotic moment.
Luckily for us, the fire was small and the fire department quickly put it out. I feel sorry for the Burn Unit patients on the first level that had to be evacuated. The sprinkler system went off. You can imagine the rest.
As you can imagine I had very little sleep. 4 hours in a 38 hour period to be exact. When I finally got some sleep I craved potatoes. My comfort food. It’s a childhood thing. We ate lots of potatoes as kids and things have not changed since. These potatoes were amazing. Fresh sourdough bread crumbs, garlic, fresh herbs and parmesan is what made them amazing.
Heavenly good! Try it for yourself.
- 1 lb small golden potatoes, sliced in half
- 1 thick slice sourdough bread
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- pinch of paprika
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add potatoes to a small pot, cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender but not fully cooked.
- Drain and add to a mixing bowl. Season with salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- In a blender or a food processor, process sourdough until bread crumbs form. Mix with garlic, parsley, parmesan and paprika.
- Stir the breadcrumbs mixture with potatoes. Spread on a baking sheet.
- Bake until golden about 15-20 min.