How do I feel about pasta?!? Hmmmmm…..
It all depends on my cravings and food mood meter.
Well, actually, I am not much of a pasta eater, mainly because I am such a meat and potatoes girl. Weeks can go by before I have a pasta dish. However, when the craving finally strikes you can bet your bottom dollar I am going to have a dish that won’t disappoint.
I recently discovered quinoa pasta and been experimenting using it in recipes. This is how Pasta Salad with Broccoli and Asparagus came to life. Basil pesto sort of works as dressing here. Along with broccoli and asparagus, it adds lots of freshness and flavor to this simple salad.
I hope you enjoy this salad as much as I did.
Do you have an ingredient that you can live without?
- ½ lb quinoa pasta
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, cut in half and then into thirds
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ bunch asparagus, cut into thirds
- 1 tbsp shaved parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa pasta according to directions. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, prepare basil pesto by combining basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, parmesan cheese and olive oil in a blender.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil, add 1 tbsp salt and cook broccoli about 2 minutes. Add asparagus and cook another 2 minutes. Until both vegetables are tender but still crunchy on the inside. Drain.
- In a bowl, combine pasta and basil pesto. Mix well.
- Add broccoli, asparagus and tomatoes. Stir gently to coat with pesto. Season with salt and pepper. Add shaved parmesan.