I dream of Spring!
It will be here soon or at least I keep telling myself that. I’m starting to think I’m developing an allergy to snow. Anymore of this white stuff and I’m going to lose my cool. I want warmth and sunshine, green grass and trees. I want spring produce and all the asparagus my body can handle. I need lots of green in my life, both in the kitchen and outside. I swear, this year the grill might start working as soon as I can step foot in my backyard. This winter has been brutal more than any other. I’m over it.
I like to play around in the kitchen especially when I’m not pressed on time. I’m sure, judging by the title of this recipe you can tell I have been playing around. I’ve been playing with nuts. Pistachio nuts to be exact. I made my own pistachio milk and added matcha powder for extra health. My morning smoothies are currently kiss ass. Some people have breakfast, others have smoothies. I make one every morning without skipping a day, except for Sunday, we eat breakfast food then. Usually my milk of choice is vanilla almond but since I felt so playful I decided to change things up. Let me tell you, I am addicted to pistachio milk. It is so easy to make, doesn’t require endless soaking and some say can be made completely skipping the step. For the sake of my Vitamix and other reasons I presoaked the nuts for about 2 hours while I worked on other things.
If you’re feeling adventurous, choose to make healthier choices and have a little extra time on your hands then make this milk. You can omit matcha and just make the pistachio milk as is. It won’t be quite as green as my version, but rest assure it will be delicious.
Store in a mason jar or air tight container. Use within a week if you can make it last that long.
I’ll be back on Friday with a new cocktail post, be sure to check back.
- 1 cup shelled pistachios (roasted, NOT salted)
- 3 cups filtered water
- ½ tbsp matcha powder
- Cover pistachios with water and soak for about 2 hours. (you can skip this step all together but presoaking makes the blending process easier)
- Drain, add pistachios to a blender and pour in 3 cups of purified water. Blend on high speed until smooth. Stir in matcha and blend a few seconds to incorporate.
- Place a mesh sieve over a bowl and strain the mixture using the spoon to help push the milk through. Rinse the sieve and repeat again.
- Store in a mason jar or an airtight container. Use within a week.