Lately, I have been spending a good amount of time working on my Recipes page. The goal is to make it more user friendly and appealing. I have to admit moving all those recipes around is not an easy task. It is so time consuming but I love the way its starting to look. Please let me know what you think.
Now, to the food…..
We’re not really pasta eaters in my house. Let me clarify, Kurt and I aren’t really pasta eaters, Briana on the other hand, can eat it every day. However, there are days when I crave a good pasta dish. On our last trip to Whole Foods I was intrigued to find quinoa pasta and this is how this Quinoa Pasta with Brussels Sprouts and Toasted Panko was born. Adding red pepper flakes, pine nuts and parmesan cheese took it to another level – pure goodness without the guilt.
This is a sure hit even with picky eaters.
- 1lb quinoa pasta (or your favorite brand)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 16 oz Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable for a vegetarian version)
- ½ cup Parmegiano Romano cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup Panko
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and return to the pot.
- While pasta cooks, heat 1 tsp olive oil in a small skillet, add Panko and toast until golden. Make sure to stir frequently.
- In a large skillet heat the rest of the olive oil, add Brussels sprouts and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, onion and red pepper flakes. Cook another 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, zest, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until Brussels sprouts are slightly tender. Remove from heat and combine with pasta. Mix in cheese.
- To serve, top with toasted Panko and pine nuts.