This weekend I was a busy baking bee. If you follow my blog then you know that I do not like to bake much, however that was not the case on Saturday. I don’t know if it was all the snow that made me want to bake or the approaching Valentines Day but Briana and I made all kinds of V Day treats and surprised Hubby with some deliciousness. We made heart shaped pink rice crispy treats, cake balls and individual heart shaped cakes.
Lately I have been salivating over yummy cupcakes over at Petit4Chocolatier blog and I think I finally had to give in to my chocolate craving. With an effort to make my cake reduced fat and less sugar I used coconut oil and applesauce to cut the fat content. Let me tell you, it came out spectacular. I am very proud of myself.
I had enough cake left over to make cake balls and I’ll be sharing the recipe sometimes this week. So be sure to check back.
Please visit Yahoo Shine Club to see other Sexy Dishes.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
- 1½ cup hot coffee
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 5 oz sweetened apple sauce
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup fat free greek yogurt (i used Chobani)
- For the icing
- 1 mildly sweet dark chocolate bar (I used hershey's dark chocolate)
- ¼ cup almond coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Oil and flour a 13x9 baking dish.
- To prepare wet ingredients whisk together cocoa powder and hot coffee in a separate bowl.
- To prepare dry ingredients combine flour, chocolate pudding mix, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Mix and set aside.
- In a stand mixer on low speed combine sugar and coconut oil and blend until incorporated.
- Add applesauce and continue mixing.
- Add egg whites and the whole egg, mix to combine well.
- Mix in greek yogurt.
- Add wet and dry ingredients a third at a time, allowing to incorporate well. Be sure to scrape all the sides and mix one last time.
- Pour into the baking dish. Bake about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool. Cut out individual cakes by using a heart shaped cookie cutter.
- Break up the chocolate bar, combine with almond milk and melt in the microwave (about 30 seconds)
- Drizzle over the cakes. Enjoy