We had such a fun weekend but three birthday parties and Disney Jr Live have proven to be a little exhausting. What a difference a decade makes. It my 20’s I could have done all this with my eyes closed, now in my 30’s my body reminds me to slow down. It seems that Monday morning is the time for that reminder. It’s more like a cruel joke. Are you supposed to come out of a weekend tired? I don’t think so. Well there is always the next one to catch up on some rest.
How many of you watched CMA’s on Sunday night? I was amazed by how beautiful Miranda Lambert looked. Naturally I wanted to know how she lost all that weight. I did some reading. Miranda says she does cardio and exercises portion control. Perfect! I can do that. As a matter of fact I’m already doing that. Although I didn’t even need motivation, I got it anyway. After a weekend full of food, drinks and late night adventures I could not wait to get back to eating good again.
I adore roasted beets. I rely on quinoa to keep me full and satisfied without extra calories. Quinoa combined with roasted beets and blue cheese crumbles is a sweet and savory side option perfect with fish and even better all by itself the next day.
I’ve made this salad numerous times and every time I fall in love with it all over again.
- 2 medium red beets, washed and scrubbed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup low fat italian dressing
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the top (rough part) of the beets. Wrap in aluminum foil. Pierce the top of the beet right through the foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 45 min to 1 hour. Allow to cool before peeling the skin, then dice into bite size pieces.
- Meanwhile cook quinoa according to package directions. (I use my rice cooker to make quinoa and it comes out perfect every time)
- In a small bowl combine cooked quinoa, roasted beets, scallions and blue cheese crumbles. Mix gently. Then add dressing and stir to coat.
- Serve immediately or cooled.