I is happy.
This is my inner Boov channeling my happiness. No I haven’t lost my mind. Over the weekend we took Briana to see the animated movie Home and then spend the entire day talking like Boovs. We’re sort of crazy like that.
You guys I got so carried away with watching the Country Music Awards on Sunday night I forgot to publish this post. CMA’s are pretty much the only award show I’ll watch from start to finish. I wish Miranda Lambert won the Entertainer of the Year award but I’m still glad Luke Bryan did. I also forgot to watch The Game of Thrones. Travesty!!! Thank goodness for the record button. I know my husband really loves me, the man did not say a word and just went along with the singing and dancing shenanigans.
I am on a mission to share healthy, simple and delicious side recipes that your family will love. It all started last week with Dilled Baby Potatoes and continues with these Creamy Blue Cheese Beets. I am actually excited to share this post with you. Seriously… I know that sounds lame. Who gets excited about beets? Well these ones are worth the excitement. We adore beets. You can find them on our table on a regular basis. The sweetness of a well roasted beet is satisfying on its own simply drizzled with olive oil and some salt. However, when roasted beets are combined with savory crème fraiche and blue cheese crumbles they are sinfully good. I mean finger licking good. I actually licked the plate clean and I’m not ashamed to tell. My only regret was not having more.
Oven roasting is the easiest way to cook beets and the tastiest I must add. Wrap them in aluminum foil drizzled with olive oil and kosher salt and let the oven do the trick. It should take about 45 minutes for the smaller to medium ones. The skins will rub off easily with a paper towel and if you use enough you might even spare your palms from turning red. Most beet varieties are available in the markets in spring. The deep red variety is the most common. I love the golden yellow ones as well.
- 3 medium beets, cleaned and scrubbed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp creme fraiche
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Scrub and clean the beets. Cut off the bottom rough part. Place the beets into aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt. Wrap tightly with foil and roast for 45 min to 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven when done and set aside to cool slightly.
- Using paper towels gently rub the skin off the beets, it will lift easily. Slice beets into wedges and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine creme fraiche, yogurt, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Fold in blue cheese crumbles and the beet wedges.
- Season with a little salt and enjoy.
For additional recipes see the links below.