A savory breakfast on a weekday morning is all the rage but let’s face it not many of us have the time to make one especially during the week. Unless I’m on vacation or it’s Sunday savory breakfast comes from the deli counter. While I love having my morning smoothie loaded with greens and vegetables occasionally it’s just not enough and I need something else to hold me over until lunch. That’s why I created these Sausage & Cheese Breakfast Rolls. These are a smashing hit with the entire family. Perfect for kids, on the go, in the car these rolls have become my go to. They can be kept refrigerated for a few days and simply reheated in the microwave. A few seconds is all you need.
But let me warn you! Make enough! They don’t last very long. In my house these have become the go to snack as well.
Briana stated this is her new favorite food. It’s common for 7 year olds to keep track, preferably on one hand, a list of all their favorite foods. When a new favorite arrives prioritizing begins. She moved this one to number one spot. Up until now, shrimp scampi made with pink shrimp from Florida was at the top of the list. Luckily for me, she keeps discovering new foods she loves.
By the way did you know you can get your kid to pretty much try anything if it’s in a shape of a burger? It seems to work for me. I’ve been trying to get her to eat salmon for a while without success. Once I turned it into a salmon burger she ate it with no problem and loved it. Go figure.
If you’re looking for a new breakfast idea look no further. Trust me you’ll love my Sausage & Cheese Breakfast Rolls.
- 2 cans crescent one sheet dough
- 10 breakfast sausage links (fresh raw ones, not precooked) If you can't find any sweet italian sausage would make a good substitute
- 4 oz shredded low fat cheddar skin
- ½ tsp dry italian seasoning
- ½ tsp dry garlic powder
- ¼ tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg + water
- Remove the sausage links from their casings. Gently run your knife along the casing to cut it open and remove the meat discarding the casing. Repeat with all, breaking up the meat as you go.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add all the meat and sauté until no longer pink continuing to break up the sausage into small pieces.
- Stir in italian seasoning, garlic powder and crushed black pepper. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the crescent dough sheet. Using a rolling pin gently form into a rectangle approximately 9in by 13 in. Cut right down the middle to divide in half. Then cut each half across to create three equal squares.
- Fill each square with cheese and sausage and roll into a very thick cigar. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the rest.
- Make an egg wash by beating an egg with 1 tbsp water. Brush the rolls with the egg wash.
- Bake for 15 min or until golden brown.
Sausage & Cheese Breakfast Rolls