I remember the first time I tried pan roast. Kurt and I were in Las Vegas ready to fly back home. The entire trip I heard all about this wonderful dish but had not yet had a chance to try it. On our way to the airport we stopped at Palace Station Casino which hides one of the best kept secrets in Las Vegas.
Nestled in the back of this old casino lies a small oyster bar that hosts only a handfull of seats. I realized that I must be on to something good when I looked at the line for the next seat and all the people sitting at the slot machines were simply waiting for their turn to get into the waiting line.
I have to tell you this isn’t your average bar space but a carefully run operation where the one man chef is preparing what I have to summarize as one of the greatest things to hit my palate. My definition of torture changed that day while I stood in line and watched bowl after bowl of the most wonderful seafood pan roast served. After what seamed like an eternity finally it was our turn. I must now warn you it is worth every single moment of that wait. Honestly stuffing ourselves senseless with oysters, beer and pan roast and then getting on an airplane was not the greatest of an idea but I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
Last night I took out my trusted Ratatouille Movie recipe box and pulled out my favorite seafood recipe.
So with great memories of that AMAZING dish I bring you my version of the seafood pan roast and a pretty close one to the original. You can use any combination of seafood, quite frankly every time I make this dish I change it up. Last night I made it with a lobster tail, clams and tilapia.
Seafood Pan Roast
- 1/2 tbsp margarine
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 cup clam juice
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp cocktail sauce (equal parts horseradish and ketchup)
- 1/2 lemon
- Tabasco to taste
- 1/4 cup fat free half and half
- dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed clean
- 1 tilapia filet, cut into chunks
- 1 lobster tail, cut into chunks
- 1. Combine the first 9 ingredients in a pan. Cook about 2 minutes.
- 2. Add clams, cover and cook until open.
- 3. Add lobster tail and tilapia, Cook about 3 minutes until cooked through.
- 4. Add half and half & stir. Turn off the heat.
- Serve and enjoy.