A vegetarian sandwich full of goodness, healthy stuff and deliciousness. An avocado sandwich with alfalfa sprouts, Japanese seaweed salad, tomatoes and Italian sea salt is pure vegetarian yum.
In a generation where lives are hectic eating out might seem like the easiest choice. Although my passion for cooking allows me to spend extra time in the kitchen without it feeling like a chore I realize that not everyone shares the same view. I’m hoping that simple, healthy recipes like this avocado sandwich will inspire you to cook at home, realize the benefits of preparing your own food and inspire you to get creative.
Nutrition is always in the back on my mind. I try to plan out my meals as much as possible to allow myself to make better choices at the supermarket. These choices include more vegetables, greens and organic items as much as possible. Planning allows me to be able to stay within my budget while providing my family with healthier and nutritionally better food choices.
I’ve been trying to grow my own organic avocado tree. You should see this thing. The seed split, the root is long yet there is no sprout. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but one thing is clear I don’t have a green thumb. It kills me to have to start all over again although I might have to surrender.
I can have an avocado sandwich any given time. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, doesn’t matter. I’ll take it. For breakfast adding a fried egg is the perfect choice. I prefer to mash it onto toast for lunch and serve it with a salad for dinner. It’s satisfying and delicious not to mention super healthy. The beauty of it is that you can add your favorite ingredients or change them up as you please.
- 2 slices Pain De Campagne bread
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- ½ tomato, sliced
- alfalfa sprouts
- Japanese seaweed salad (from Japanese restaurants) optional but highly recommended
- good quality salt such as Himalayan or Italian sea salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp Vegenaise mayo (or low fat mayo)
- Spread Vegenaise over both slices of bread and top with tomato slices.
- Arrange avocado slices over one side. Season with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Top the other slice with Japanese seaweed salad and alfalfa sprouts.
- Press both sides together to close the sandwich. Slice down the middle and enjoy!
Here are a few more delicious recipes that are simple enough and will hopefully inspire you to stay in and cook.