Can I just say that today I simply want to stop and appreciate the two wonderful people that make my life joyful – my husband and my daughter. There is nothing more satisfying, empowering and motivating than being a mother, a wife and a successful career woman. And if it wasn’t for the two of them to support me through every step of the way I don’t know what I would do. I think it’s very important to let our loved ones know how special they are to us. So I just want to simply say Thank You and I Love You to the two of them.
I am going to share a simple recipe with you. I love empanadas, but let’s face it, they aren’t that healthy and most of the time fried in a ton of oil. Well I made a healthy version over the weekend and they were super delicious. So here is my spin on Skinny Baked Empanadas.
Make the filling. Place it in the middle of the empanada dough.
Seal by pressing the edges with a fork.
Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with an egg wash.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 oz diced no salt added tomatoes with juice
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tbsp capers
- ¼ cup water if needed
- 15 empanada disks, store bought
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat olive oil in a skillet and cook ground turkey until cooked through, about 5 minutes
- Add onion, garlic and sauté another 3 minutes.
- Add cumin, tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Use a potato masher to help break down the tomatoes.
- Then add cilantro and capers.
- Cook on medium low for 15 minutes adding water if necessary.
- The mixture should be moist but not watery.
- Fill each disk with about a tablespoon of the turkey mixture
- Seal edges by pressing with a fork
- Place on a baking dish lined with parchment paper, brush with an egg wash
- Bake at 400 degrees, about 15-20 minutes