Hearty, family friendly and satisfying Broccoli Cheddar soup is a definite favorite in my family. Ready in less than 45 minutes it’s a fantastic dinner solution alongside a sandwich or a Panini. Classic comfort meals are the best but they’re even better made lighter and healthier. Being able to enjoy a favorite dish without the guilt while loading up on good nutrition is always at the top of my list.
I can proudly say that growing up I was not one of the children that hated broccoli. As a mom I am even more proud that my daughter is not a broccoli hater. On the contrary broccoli happens to be one of our favorite vegetables. Steamed, roasted, raw or in a soup we continue to devour it week after week. I honestly think my love for all vegetables is a result of my mom’s ability to cook them right. We ate all kinds of vegetables as kids and continue to do so now. Thanks mom.
This nutritious and lighter version is packed with fiber, skin smoothing potassium and anti-inflammatory properties. To cut back on the cheese and cream I added a potato and substituted for fat free half and half. To give the soup a beautiful color and add powerful antioxidants I added some turmeric. Turmeric has amazing properties and is a naturally anti-inflammatory, when added to food it’s pretty much tasteless. I tend to add it to a lot of my dishes especially soups and stews.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed, roughly chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ pint fat free half & half
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven. Add chopped carrot and onion. Saute until the vegetables begin to soften then add garlic and thyme. Season with a little salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Stir in flour and allow to cook through. This should only take about a minute.
- Add diced potatoes and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are almost done.
- Now add broccoli and cook another 5 minutes until the broccoli is tender. Using an immersion blender pure the mixture until desired consistency. You can also use a regular blender, the mixture will be smoother.
- To the pureed soup add turmeric, cheddar and half & half. Simmer until the cheese melts, stirring to prevent lumps. Taste for salt and pepper. Adjust to your liking. Serve hot.