Serving a great dessert doesn’t have to take a lot of work. Your slow cooker can do all the work while you work on dinner. These baked apples are guaranteed to fill your house with warmth and those close to you begging for a taste.
Apple season is in full swing and if you’re like my family by now you’ve ventured out to your neighborhood apple farm for a dose of pick your own apples. Just like us I’m sure you picked way too many and now wondering what to do with all of them. Apple sauce, pies, cakes and muffins are fabulous ideas but have you thought of baking apples stuffed with granola right in your slow cooker? It is a delicious and super easy way to have dessert ready without fuss. All you need is store bought granola and ice cream. Whole Foods has a fabulous pumpkin spice granola that I’m addicted to. Surely you can make your own but I’m not that into it especially since I discovered the pumpkin spice flavored one at Whole Foods.
Enjoy and don’t forget the ice cream!
- 4 apples (your choice - Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, McIntosh)
- 1 cup store bought pumpkin spice granola (if granola has no nuts I suggest chopping a few walnuts and adding to the mixture)
- 4 tbsp sweet butter, sliced into 1 tbsp pieces
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- Core the apples then slice a little of the top. Sit the apples inside the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl mix granola and brown sugar. Please note if granola has no nuts I suggest chopping some walnuts and adding to the mixture. Using a small spoon carefully stuff the apple with granola and top with one slice(tbsp) of butter each.
- Add a little water to the bottom of the slow cooker. Depending on how large your slow cooker is it can be anywhere from ¼ cup to a ⅓ of a cup. You just want enough to barely cover the bottom. We don't want to boil the apples.
- Set the cooker on for 2½ hours and let the magic happen. Serve with vanilla or caramel ice cream.