Lately I have been experimenting with Asian flavors. Although I am not much of a pasta eater I love Asian noodles. Udon, sobe, ramen…. Bring it on. Last weekend, I took my mom and sister to a tiny sushi spot located inside the only Asian supermarket in my area. While we enjoyed sushi, Briana had a bowl on Yake Udon. The serving was so big that when my little girl announced she was done, there was still a whole lot left so we couldn’t help but stick our chopsticks into this delicious looking bowl. Since we were at the right place for noodles I decided to visit the noodle isle to make some at home.
As I was reading nutrition labels on what seemed like an endless selection of noodles you know what I noticed? Noodles are loaded with sodium. I stumbled upon buckwheat somen, a thin Japanese noodle made with buckwheat flour. Seemed like a good choice. Well apparently I know how to pick noodles. We loved loved loved the way somen turned out stir fried with cabbage and shrimp.
Oh yeah, it’s even better when served with Sriracha.
On the side note, if you cant find somen noodles, angel hair pasta might make a great substitute.
If you’re looking for a simple and easy dinner idea, look no further. This one is a keeper.
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 package Somen noodles (side note, use angel hair if you cant find somen)
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ head small green cabbage, sliced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp cilanro, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. Saute cabbage and carrots until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a smaller skillet, saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add shrimp. Cook until pink
- Bring chicken stock, oyster sauce and liquid aminos to a boil, cook noodles about 4 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of liquid.
- To the cabbage mixture add the shrimp onion mixture and noodles. Stir and sauté about 2 minutes. Add reserved liquid ½ cup at a time.
- Stir in cilantro.