There are many emotions poured into the food I make. I put in a lot of love and time into these dishes and no matter what I’m cooking each dish has a story behind it. Seasons, days of the week or the state of my mental being translates into each recipe. Each meal is carefully crafted for my family so when they eat it they know how much of myself went into it. Cooking brings me lots of pleasure and feeding the people I care about is a huge part of what happens in my kitchen. When I cook I teach Briana to appreciate food. Food is memories. Memories she’ll have in her heart for the rest of her life.
These short ribs translate into how I feel on Sunday afternoons at home this time of the year.
These ribs are a perfect combination of sweet, savory and spice. Braised in orange juice and red pepper flakes to create a sauce that is nothing short of delightful. My husband loves short ribs, it’s almost like a requirement I make them once a month and this is one of his new favorite recipes. Whole Foods sells some of the best short ribs, perfectly cut and perfectly marbled.
Make mashed potatoes to go along. Promise you won’t be disappointed. I dare you not to drown them in all the delicious sauce.
- 6 short ribs
- 3½ cups water
- ½ cup orange juice
- juice of 1 small orange
- 5 orange zest strips
- ½ tbsp italian seasoning
- ½ tbsp red chili flakes
- ¼ tsp habanero flakes (optional)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 whole parsley stalks
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven. Season short ribs with salt and pepper and brown short ribs a few minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add chopped carrots, onion, celery & garlic to the same pot. Cook 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Add italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, habanero flakes, cumin, orange zest and tomato paste. Stir to combine, then pour in the water and orange juice. Bring to a simmer. Season with salt.
- Return short ribs to the pot, cover and transfer to the oven. Braise for 3 hours, uncover and braise another 30 min.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.