I am so excited to share that I am officially training for my first Half Marathon. It’s an exciting feeling but I know what lies ahead of me. It’s not going to be easy but it is certainly going to be rewarding and thrilling. I feel as if this is the beginning of something new. A beginning of a new addiction and hopefully many more races will follow. I am a week into my training, feeling great and having a sense of accomplishment. Excitement and exhaustion lies ahead.
Let’s talk about these loaded nachos. Ground turkey simmered in enchilada sauce makes an excellent addition and is much healthier too. I layered the nachos so that there is flavor in every bite. Refried beans, enchilada turkey and habanero cheddar cheese layered in whole grain tortilla chips, then topped with avocado, corn, tomato and jalapeño is football food made in heaven. This is a dish that will surely make your guests happy during the big game.
Being insane hot sauce addicts we can handle some pretty spicy sauces so naturally this entire skillet got smothered in one of our favorites. Hot sauce is a must with any nacho dish. I added hot sauce to the enchilada turkey and the refried beans as well. Of course you can adjust to your liking.
Have a delicious week! Eat, smile and be happy!
- 5 oz multigrain tortilla chips
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce (msg free and preferably organic or home made)
- a few good dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- ¾ cup habanero cheddar cheese
- 7 oz (1/2 can) refried black or pinto beans
- 7 oz (1/2 can) canned corn, drained
- ½ avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Turn the oven on to broil.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet, add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Stir in enchilada sauce and oregano, cook covered until the sauce reduces by third. Season with hot sauce. Remove from heat.
- Pour refried beans into a small sauce pot, allow to come to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- At the bottom of a cast iron skillet arrange half of the tortilla chips. Top with half of the turkey mixture, half of the refried beans and half the cheese. Arrange the rest of the tortilla chips on top. Once again top with the rest of the turkey, refried beans, corn and cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it.
- Before serving top with jalapeño, avocado, tomato and cilantro.
- Enjoy with hot sauce.