The last few days the weather has been fantastic, perfect for grilling and dining outside. What I mostly love about this time of the year is the warm sunny days and crisp sweatshirt wearing nights. These evenings the mosquitos are far and few in between and I’m ok with that. I hate the darn things. Memorial Day weekend both Briana and Kurt got bit pretty hard, the poor things are still suffering.
I made this delicious Brussels Sprouts Salad to go alongside a grilled feast a few nights ago and we devoured it. The dressing is an absolute must here, it adds a level of flavor that can’t come from salt alone. It seems like Brussels Sprouts is one of those vegetables, people either love or hate. For the longest time I couldn’t figure out why this cruciferous vegetable is so unliked by many. I think I’ve figured out the answer.
They overcook them.
The trick to delicious Brussels Sprouts is to leave them a bit crunchy and add great flavors. And that’s just what I did here. Golden carrots, red onion, garlic and the magical champagne vinaigrette make this salad delicious and satisfying. It goes great with any seafood, fish, steak or pasta.
So if you’re love for Brussels Sprouts needs a little rekindling try this salad. In my house this is certainly a new dinner side staple.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts, cleaned & sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled & sliced
- 1 golden carrot, cleaned & sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar (you can also use cider vinegar)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp honey
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together champagne vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil, dijon, honey, garlic powder and salt. Set aside
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet. Add brussels sprouts, red onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook about 4-5 min stirring occasionally. The veggies should be tender, yet still have a bite.
- To serve, transfer to a platter, drizzle with vinaigrette. Enjoy.