Summer is slowly coming to an end and I am trying to enjoy all the fruits and vegetables the season has to offer. I love taking mini road trips on the weekends and discovering local farmers selling corn, tomatoes, zucchini and herbs. Maybe it’s all in my head but I feel as if these vegetables are tastier and more fragrant.
We are very lucky to live in an area where supermarkets and farmers markets support local farmers and sell locally grown produce. As I stopped at my favorite farmers market a few days ago I couldn’t help but pick up a watermelon, some tomatoes, peppers and corn. As I stared at my watermelon that night I remembered a great appetizer I made for a party. Watermelon squares topped with goat cheese drizzled with honey lemon dressing, turned out to be a smashing hit. I served it as a palate cleanser between first and second course and was surprised at how fast it was devoured.
Tonight I wanted to recreate this delicious appetizer for dessert. The idea also sat well with the Hubby. It is incredibly simple to prepare, really satisfying and allows you to have dessert without a ton of calories.
Watermelon Goat Cheese Squares
- 2 watermelon slices, cut into cubes
- 1 oz goat cheese, broken into small pieces
- 5 mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1. In a small bowl, mix lemon juice and honey. Set aside.
- 2. Arrange watermelon squares on a platter, top with goat cheese and drizzle with honey lemon dressing.
- 3. Sprinkle with mint and serve :)