Is it that time of the week already? Is it really Wednesday?
That means it’s time for What I Ate Wednesday.
Except I have been so swamped with work and everything else I forgot to take any pictures of what I ate yesterday.
So what should we talk about? Oh, I know. I do have a few pictures after all. Monday night, after an exhausting day of work, I needed to make a quick dinner. Guess what? I did it under 30 minutes. I made a delicious creamy Potato Broccoli Cheddar Soup and a Grilled Veggie Panini.
Soup!? You may ask. She gives us soup? I know what you’re thinking. But… this simple one pot meal is sure to please the entire family and is loaded with broccoli, potatoes and cheese. Personally, I can eat soup all year round.
I also made a meatless Grilled Veggie Panini with leftover grilled zucchini, onions and eggplant topped with chardonnay Dijon mustard and creamy light havarti cheese. This Panini should not be under estimated. The meaty grilled eggplant and gooey havarti made this into one satisfying sandwich.
Thanks to Jenn at Peas and Crayons for hosting our weekly WIAW party.
Serving size: 1 cup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, small dice
- 1 medium carrot, small dice
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp flour
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2½ cups organic chicken stock
- 1 cup 2% organic milk
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into small florets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil and sauté onion, celery, carrot, garlic and thyme until slightly soft.
- Add flour and stir. Cook 1 minute.
- Add diced potatoes, chicken stock, milk and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook about 10-15 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cook another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a blender and blend. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one.
- Transfer back to the pot, add both cheddar and parmesan cheese. Stir until melts.
- Serve and enjoy